Monday, September 26, 2011

Taking out the garbage

Yesterday, my roommate and I cleaned our kitchen.  It shouldn't have been a big deal, but it very much was.  I think I took 2 or 3 garbage bags full of gross food and containers out to the dumpster.

I mean, there was food from the fridge (you know, the unknowns, what is growing in there stuff), expired food from the cupboards, cardboard containers taking up space, and random stuff that no one took claim to.

All in all, it was a pretty gross experience involving many gags, oh my's, eww's, and turning of the heads. But on the other hand, it was nice that the stuff didn't have to stay in our house.  It could easily be removed.  Easily is probably the wrong word.  I mean, it took effort to go through everything, opening the containers of unknown monster like food, deciding what was good and what was bad, then we had to put the bad stuff into garbage bags, pray that the bag didn't break (at one point in time, we literally just took the entire garbage can outside to avoid breakage), and then we had to transport it outside.  Quite the process.

At the end of it all, it still looks like we have way too much food for three people.  There is still no room in the fridge, freezer, or cupboards.  And I still feel the need to drive somewhere to get food that I can eat.  [I have however sworn off of getting anything besides meat, seeing as we lack chicken, beef, or any other kind of protein]

Why am I going on about how we cleaned our kitchen... During one of my trips outside, carrying a bag that I know my mom would never have alllowed me to put into our garbage can [filled with liquids because I was too lazy to throw them down the sink], I literally had a sigh of relief when it left my hands, knowing that the smell would not be in our kitchen or our fridge.  The food would not be there attracting bugs and who knows what else, and I could start afresh with a nice, clean fridge.

And then my mind thought, how nice is it that I have a Savior that can do the same exact thing for me.  To be completely cleansed of all stinking, rotting grossness that is within me.  Within my heart, withing my mind, within my life.  Easy may be the wrong word here too, but it is a free gift.

I struggle with the flesh daily. I would be a liar if I said any differently.  But lately, I have just been bogged down by things I know my Heavenly Father would not approve of.  The first step is just acknowledging it, right? Then the more difficult step of taking the time to sort it all out, the good from the bad.  But luckily, we don't have to do it all alone.  And we shouldn't (along with our kitchen, I'm really grateful for my roommate, that kitchen was kinda gross).  And all I have to do is ask.  So cool!

I love analogies, and use them all the time. I hope you are enjoying keeping up with what's going on in my life, and hope you maybe get a smile out of my fun life analogies of a 21 year old college student :)  Life is never  dull, and I would get worried if it became so.  [guess I learned well, as there is never a dull moment at home... haha]

I don't have any fun pictures to show you from the weekend, but I did get to enjoy dinner with Ashley and Jorge, two fellow retired RAs from Offenhauer.  We went to a nice little bistro downtown.  The food was a little pricey for me, but it was good.  It was nice to reminisce.

Afterwards, I went to see the musical Hairspray, which was put on by 3B Productions (the theatre company I did Seussical with).  Oh my, I don't think I've laughed that hard since I can't remember when.  Everyone did a fabulous job and it was so nice to see everyone again.  I miss my theatre friends, but that starts up in just a little over a month.  Cool stuff.

Sunday I enjoyed church here in BG (but I missed being home for the church picnic.  I heard it was a blast, as far as Corey says... haha.  So happy that he is enjoying himself.  I miss him terribly!) Afterwards, I went and saw my roommate in Jane Eyre, a play that was put on by Black Swamp, the other theatre group I'm in.  It was good, I had never heard of it to be honest, but they did a great job.  It was also nice to see some familiar faces.

Today signaled the real start to my big semester project.  I'm working with 8 other developers to create software for our client.  We are creating a computerized test software to help speech therapists when they are initially testing for speech therapy.  There is no existing software in this field and they have commissioned our class to create something for them.  It's super exciting, and so cool that God keeps placing me in positions to help where I am passionate about.  So grateful!

Any prayers that can be lifted up for Kenny as he has finally went back overseas as well as for a friend of mine, Natalie and her family would be greatly appreciated.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."  Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...