Thursday, October 20, 2011

Why I'm a CS Major

Recently in my literature class, we were asked:

"What first comes to mind when you think of New Years?"

My response: Sauerkraut!!!!

Intended Answer: A new beginning

And that's why I'm a CS Major...

Oops.... Obviously literature class isn't my strong suit. But I feel that this situation obviously shows why I chose Computer Science and Math.  Logic and Order, as well as surface thoughts, I guess you could say, are things I like.  Unless I'm in the mood for it, I'm not so good with the philosophical side of life.  I mean, I like deep thinking and love trying to solve problems, but when it comes to why an author chose to write the New Years holiday over Easter, it's just beyond my comprehension (or maybe it's just that I could just care less... who knows).

All this to tell you that when I graduate this May, you can rest assured I know that I will be getting a degree in something that was meant to be.

I want to share with you the joy I've been feeling during this job search. God has blessed me in many ways, and there has never been a time like now where it is has been so clear to me.  God has placed me in a field that I enjoy and that I'm good at.  No, it's not my greatest passion, but I do love it.  God knows my true passion is with teens, and I place my trust in Him that He will place me somewhere where I can make a difference with kids, but He has given me something that I can have an occupation in and still enjoy.  I'm content working as a developer or whatever else come with Computer Science because I know God will use me where I'm at.

Back to my blessings, not only am I going to be doing something I enjoy, He has also given me ample opportunities.

As a graduate in this economy, the job market is awful.  Most of the people I graduate with won't have a job for a while after they graduate, let alone a job before so.  I've been blessed with the fact that I won't have to worry about that.  I will have a job after I graduate, and yes, I've worked hard to accomplish what I have, but without God, I'd be nothing.  He could have just as easily dealt me a hand where I wasn't successful and had to worry about how I was going to live after graduation, but He didn't.

Most of my generation will not end their careers at the same company they started it at.  This has always been a goal of mine despite the facts, and God has just blown this desire out of the water (in a good way).  Every company that I've applied for will fulfill this want of mine.  I don't want to job hop my whole life.  If it's what I'm called to do, then I pray that I am willing to follow, but if I don't have to, I'd rather not.  Whenever I tell people I want to stay at one company for my career, I always get funny looks, as if to say, Yeah right.  I have faith though and look forward to it.  God is good.

It's been quite interesting trying to figure out life post-graduation.  So many things to decide!  And these decisions will have a big impact on the rest of my life.  No more scheduling classes that will affect me for a semester...  These are the major life decision things. Three years ago, I would be buckling under the overwhelming pressure I would have placed upon myself.  I'm glad to say that I can look back over the past three years and see personal growth in my life.  No longer am I stressed out; I can look to the future and truly believe God's got it.  It's such a cool feeling to know that someone is in control and it doesn't have to be me.  A simple, yet profound thought [my favorite kind of thoughts :) ]

I've got a lot of big decisions to make in the next month or so, and prayers would be much appreciated.  I'm not sure whether my desires are just that - mine, or if they are truly aligned with what God has in store for me.  I'm trying to align my desires with His, but I don't know if they've quite gotten there.

I currently know which offer I would love to have.  It just sounds perfect, but is it what God really wants?  I'm not sure.  [sorry for the vagueness on the actual jobs, but I don't want to share them online... feel free to call or email or whatever if you really want to hear about it].  If anyone has advice or help or anything, I'd welcome them!!!

I'm really looking forward to the future.  Not only am I looking forward to starting my career, I'm looking forward to starting my life as a non-student.  School's great and all, but I'm ready for a break :)  I'm looking forward to what God's got planned for me.  I just know it's so much better than I could ever imagine!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers and for reading these random posts of mine. God bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...